Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Friday, November 10, 2017

Martinmas

 

Glimmer lantern glimmer, little stars a-shimmer.
Over meadow, moor and dale flitter flutter elfin veil.
Pee-wit pee-wit, tick-a-tack-a-tick, coo-coo-roo-coo.

Glimmer lantern glimmer, little stars a-shimmer.
Over rock and stock and stone wander tripping little gnome.
Pee-wit, pee-wit, tick-a-tack-a-tick, coo-coo-roo-coo.


 Tonight we celebrating Martinmas with our Waldorf group with a beautiful lantern walk~



From France comes the story of St. Martin, who as a young man passed under an archway of the city of Amiens and discovered a poor beggar huddled there. The man was barely clothed, and shivering with cold. On seeing him, the young Martin took his cape from his own shoulders, tore the garment in half, and covered the poor man to warm him. The following night Martin had a dream in which he saw an angel wearing this same piece of his cape. The experience confirmed in him his devotion to all mankind regardless of their station in life. Martin went on to become patron saint of beggars and outcasts, and was known for his gentleness, his unassuming nature and his ability to bring warmth and light to those in need.
As we journey into the darkest time of the year, it is increasingly important for each of us to kindle warmth and light in our hearts. Martin’s cloak can remind us to share with those in need. The gently glowing lanterns of Martinmas will give way to the candles of the advent spiral as we draw nearer to the Solstice, showing how our inner light must shine ever brighter against the cold. As nature sleeps, we must be wakeful!




I’m walking with my lantern, my lantern walks with me
Above the stars are shining bright, down here on Earth shine we.
The cock does crow, the cat meows, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.
My light goes out, we’re going home, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.
I’m walking with my lantern, my lantern walks with me
Above the stars are shining bright, down here on Earth shine we.
So shine your light through the still dark night, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom
My light goes out, we’re going home, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.
 The sunlight fast is dwindling,
My little lamp needs kindling
Its beam shines far in darkest night,
Dear lantern guide me with your light.
 



High and blue the sky
trees are very tall
wild geese flying seem so small
see on silent wings in flocks they go
never parting from a single row
we go through the land
like a wild gees band
brothers in one flight are we
clear and dark the night
star are very bright
lantern shining seems so small
see in single file we walk along
singing joyfully our lantern song
we go through the land
like a wild gees band
sisters in one light are we




 Thanks to all who came and shared a beautiful night~
 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!