Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Miracle Milk Stroll

 
 Today Rowan and I walked in the 2nd annual Miracle Milk stroll to raise awareness of the life saving properties of Human Milk in premature babies.  Here is the story of why the NEC Society was formed and why we walk.  http://www.bestforbabes.org/the-tragic-loss-behind-the-nec-society-and-the-miracle-milk-stroll/  My heart goes out to this family.  That could have been Rowan. He developed a NEC scare at about 33 weeks ( or 4 weeks old actually) It was a week of pure hell.  He had a pic line delivering medications and food in his arm and a tube in his mouth that went down to his stomach to constantly pump everything out to help his digestive system heal.  We were so very lucky! Some babies are not.  No one, and I mean no one can tell me otherwise it was the formula fortifier they were adding to my breastmilk that caused this.  When I questioned it, they brought in this man they referred to as their "expert Dr on nutrition and human lactation"  Umm, sorry dude, you have never breastfed a child, stop referring to yourself as an expert. He also told me that he considered donor milk to be nothing more than watered down formula.  He tried to convince me it was absolutely necessary in a premature baby to give fortifier, but still I questioned.  Then social services came in.  Basically, I was told that Rowan was their patient first and my baby 2nd.  Needless to say it was a horrifying experience that to this day infuriates me. No one should have to go through that.  No baby should have to suffer with NEC. I only hope that they are changing their thought process.  I was happy to hear they are opened a milk donation center at the hospital where Rowan was born.
 I was interviewed by Fox 13...I do not want to see what they come up with from what I said! I was fumbling for words.


 We walked at Conservation Park in West Jordan.  Such a beautiful park!









 Buddies~









 So thankful for my little man~

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!