Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Happy Earth Day

 
Nothing says Happy Earth Day like all the trees around your home being cut down.  However, this does mean we can have a garden and we can plant some native trees and not have invasive, worm dropping Chinese Elm trees pushing our fence over! We were very sad to see our neighbors giant ivy covered Willow go though.  That is really what gave us the great shade we had in the backyard.  We were awoken by the noisy crane pulling in and so of course Rowan had to watch.  To our amazement this man comes swinging over our house attached to the crane and holding a chainsaw! They dropped him in the neighbors tree and he got right to work.

 



Maggie had to watch too.


She was shaking with excitement.


Piece by piece the crane carried the tree to the wood chipper.  Maggie was outside at this point and as the crane would bring large chunks of tree over our yard she was jumping into the air tying to get them. Silly crippled dog.

The pictures don't do it justice.  I just kept thinking "please don't drop that on the pirate ship!"




And then the tree was gone.


Then the crew offered to cut the trees pushing our fence down for free.  Seeing that is cost our neighbors $1700 to remove the willow we took them up on their offer! I had to leave so I missed most of the cutting of our trees but man do we have a different view now.  We are really going to miss the nice shade but we are excited to plant a garden.  We are also finally going to repair the fence and put in a gate to the stream.

 The next day Rowan and i got right to work planting our garden.
 He told me exactly what he wanted...sunflowers, tomatoes, broccoli and carrots.
 Honestly, I am not a gardener.  I have had a garden before and we usually plant tomatoes every year so hopefully this works.
 He is so excited.  David is building me some raised beds for the backyard and my front bed will go back to being the herb garden that Mara originally planted.
100 tiny starts! Hopefully we will be successful ~

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!