Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Friday, February 21, 2014

Unschooled Piano

Willow has been teaching herself piano for a while now...I found this video she made of herself playing Beethoven's - Für Elise. She has been looking up videos on how to play songs she is interested in and figuring them out on the piano. 



She wants lessons now, or really someone to answer and guide her more than I can...on the lookout for an unschooling friendly instructor and that can sometimes be a challenge to find. We need someone that understands that we don't believe in forcing our kids to practice...anything.  If it is truly their passion, they will "practice" it on their own. Or, in our experience, literally eat, breathe and sleep it!

I never once told Mara to "go practice your cello or guitar" just as I have never said "go practice your math, science, reading, soccer, gymnastics etc !"  We have really lucked out in the past and have found wonderful instructors that honored and facilitated our kids passions. I am sure I will find the perfect pianio teacher for her.  I sure wish my friend over at Better Nate Than Lever lived here!

 My children's passions ebb and flow and build on each other.  When Willow decided she had learned all she wanted to learn from violin I did not freak out and say things like "well, I bought you this violin, and I invested all this money into lessons, you have to finish the book".  I just supported her decision to move on to the next interest...there have been many between violin and now piano, and I know there will be countless more. Sometimes there are so many my head spins. It is not always easy, but it is the best job in the world!

Love being an unschooler~

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!