Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hernias

Looking cool in his tiny hospital gown :)
 
Little Rowan ended up with 2 Inguinal Hernias :(  When they told me in the nicu that he had developed them I was like what?  I thought you got those from heavy lifting...and I thought you have to be old?? They asked if David or Josh had them as they are common in families...but neither one of them have ever had a hernia.  They say they are common in boy preemies but no one can convince me otherwise that they were due to his breastmilk being fortified and causing him extreme constipation. He was constantly bearing down and just pushed his intestines right through the open holes.  My hatred for that fortification is beyond words...But, what was done was done and they had to be repaired.  Surgery is the cure so we headed to Primary Children's Hospital.

All in all they were pretty great.  I only have 2 complaints.  One was that we ended up having to wait nearly 5 hours instead of 4 and keeping Rowan happy with no food was a task.  Although, my sweet easy going babe did not complain once! He just kept looking at me with big eyes sucking away on the pacifier from the nicu. I was glad I held onto it for this reason.  He was looking at me like "you are holding me, I am sucking, so where's the milk? "  He was fascinated by the paintings on the ceiling of the waiting room :) And again, thank god for the moby wrap.  It is way better than any pouch sling I had with my other kids. My other complaint was that it was FREEZING in the recovery room and in our overnight room. I was wishing I had a big sweatshirt and pants.  I just kept wrapping Rowan in blankets. 

When it was time for the surgery, the anesthesiologist came and walked with us back to the OR.  She had 27 weeker twins so she knew what we had been through in the nicu.  ( It is amazing to me how many people I have met with preemies...when my older 4 were little I didn't know anyone with a preemie. )
We gave him lots of hugs and kisses and then handed him over...I of course was a bawling mess.... They took him back and gave him some "anesthesia gas" to breathe to put him to sleep before they did the IV sedation.  He was in surgery for about 1 hour and all went well.  He has 2 little incisions at the base of his belly that have internal stitches that will dissolve.  They "painted" over the incisions with what looks like clear nail polish to protect them from wet diapers.

Before I knew it they were calling me back to recovery and then less than 5 minutes later they moved us into our room for the night.  I say room with exaggeration.  It was more like a cave/closet. When they first took me there I said" is this my room for the night"  I must have looked shocked.  They moved the crib out after we explained that we co sleep and Rowan would not be laying in there. They were nice enough to bring us a patient bed and we didn't even get the lecture of the "dangers of co sleeping".  The bed was too long for the room so it had to be in there at an angle lol :) 

We asked  if they would let us go home but the anesthesiologist wanted his system to be clear of the drugs before went home.  Rowan never had any apnea spells in the nicu and had been off oxygen for a month and I knew he would do great...and he did :)  He was at 100% most of the night and barely dropped to 98%. I know as well as they many co sleepers/ap parents out there know, that sleeping with your babe and wearing your babe helps with regulating their breathing.  David tried to convince them that we would not be putting him in a crib in another room alone or even putting him down for that matter, but they wanted to observe...oh well...

This is it for hospitals. We are done...we just have to go back for a post op appointment in 6 weeks.  I told Rowan he has seen the inside of hospitals enough for his lifetime so he will never have to go again! I hope that counts for me too :)

Looking forward to a happy baby that no longer has to push poop through intestines that are in the wrong place!

2 comments:

Jen S said...

I'm so happy everything went well! Garrett was a premie & had a hernia repaired as well - at least it's a simple, 'routine' procedure, and more important, it's OVER!!!!

Teri said...

Thanks Jen :) I had no idea Garrett was a preemie! I am so grateful it was routine and not something worse. There was so many little ones having surgery that day for various things. I will take hernias over most things. Looking forward to a boring old "normal" life now :)

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!