Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

It is stacking up...here at home and in the hospital.  I give Rowan fresh milk for his feedings and freeze the rest.  The plan is to donate it to a couple of different places.  There is a woman here that takes it for children and adults with cancer and then there is the Denver milk bank that takes it and distributes it to hospitals for preemies that mom's can't breastfeed for whatever reason.  By the time Rowan is home, the freezer will be full.  Seeing that I pump about 50-70 ounces a day and Rowan gets about 12-14 ounces of that, there will be quite a bit to hand off :)  It is the one big thing I can do for Rowan while he is in the NICU. 

I had a great conversation the other day with a Neonatologist that specializes in human lactation and nutrition.  He has written many papers on the importance of breastfeeding and especially in the preemie. He travels around to different hospitals and gives lectures on human milk for human babies :)  Has been studying it for 30 years and taught me a lot of things I didn't know about breastmilk.  I already knew that breastfed babies score higher on intellectual tests as children and adolescents compared to formula fed kids, but I didn't know that the lower the birth weight the greater the difference.  I guess Rowan will be a super genius :)

I am super impressed with the hospital and their push for breastfeeding.  There are signs everywhere celebrating World Breastfeeding Week.  Brings back lots of memories of my days in La Leche League.

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!