Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Sunday, July 22, 2012

1 Month Old!


 Rowan is 1 month old! That is 33-34 weeks gestation :)
 It seems like it has flown by when I think back but the day to day wanting him home is more like watching the seconds tick away on a clock. 




 He has changed so much over the month!  I had hoped to blog week by week but my time is better spent kangarooing him and resting myself...


We LOVE our kangaroo time.  I think I would die without it...


One of the only pictures I have with Aspen :) She will be back in a month or so!


 Willow has been reading all of our Sandra Boynton books to him... so very sweet...




Teresa got to meet him...

Daddy holding him for the first time...

  of course when he kangaroo's him he immediately falls asleep :)


We have had a little bit of practice breastfeeding...more to come as his lungs get stronger.





 This is his uterus for now...he gets all tucked in and the nurses keep him cozy...believe me, it kills me to leave him every time...

 But then I am back for more kangaroo...that is why I call him Rowan Roo..


 He is wide awake at times...but quickly drifts to sleep...he knows my voice and David's and wakes right up for us....


  My Grandma and Grandpa love me so much...



 And my Granny loves me too! My mom has been staying with us for a month..I have no idea what we would have done...I would have been a basket case by now!


 This experience is like nothing I could have imagined.  Seriously, there is nothing that could have prepared me for this.  I am one of the lucky ones I think...I know what it is like to have a natural birth and catch your own baby and never have them taken from your sight...I also know what it is like to have a c-section and never have your baby taken from you...but this, this is totally different...this is life and death...I am lucky to have this little guy and I am lucky to be alive.  The preeclampsia is gone now and I am almost fully recovered from the c-section.  It will be strange to bring home a 2 month old baby, who is really a newborn and have my body be completely healed.  It is also strange for me to use disposable diapers, pacifiers and soon bottles...yeah, I used disposable diapers here and there and Aspen had bottles and pacifiers but it has been 21 years and in between her and Rowan my kiddos were exclusively breastfed.  Rowan will most likely need a couple of bottles a day of human milk fortifier for a while....until he catches up on his growth chart...the pacifier will disappear I am sure when it can be replaced with me, but for now it brings him comfort.  We are born with an desire to suck and since he can't take food by mouth because his lungs are working so hard and he will aspirate, he needs his pacifier.  It is truly a different experience...there is a chance Rowan could come home on oxygen...that will be interesting...  we just don't know, no one does...it is all up to him. 


 My big brother thinks I am pretty awesome...


I made it to 5 lbs!

I am pretty proud of myself!

My Aunt Patti came to visit me too!

 Sleeping away while mommy pumps my milk...


Josh holding me for the first time...


 It has been a roller coaster month...Rowan had to have a blood transfusion for anemia and then had a scare with NEC...or at least what looked like NEC.  That was a week of no feeds, only iv nutrition which meant a picc line and and Anderson tube.  He is back on his mommy milk again and getting stronger.  His little lungs are having to work extra hard so they put him back on the cpap for a few days.  They say it just takes time for his lungs to catch up to the rest of his body.  Once his oxygen needs are down (under 2 liters) he can begin breastfeeding...so in the meantime, I am pumping away.
We love this little man so much.  I absolutely cannot wait to get him home!!! This month has gone by and we have 1 more to go...hopefully no more than that, but it is all up to him.  It is a lesson in patience for sure!

Happy 1 Month Birthday Rowan!

4 comments:

Lisa D.B. Taylor said...

Hard and trying times to be sure - but so worth it!!! I'm so glad to see you and Rowan doing so well.

*Beautiful* photos!

Blessings to you all,

Lisa Taylor

Stephanie said...

Made me cry!
Twas nice to hear about how he and you are doing, I think about you all the time.
Gonna sound totally lame, but I absolutely loved it when I was storing up milk in the freezer! Loved seeing them stacked up! :)

Sending all of you much love. xxoo

Teri said...

Thank you Lisa!

Teri said...

Thank you Steph! Willow and I aresure missing seeing you guys! Hopefully soon we will get back into the swing of things :) lol I know what you mean about the milk, I have never pumped before but actually seeing it take over the freezer is quite gratifying...at least I know it is something I can do for him now :) I can't wait for you to meet him, he is such a sweet, sweet baby...August can't get here fast enough!

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!