Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Monday, September 6, 2010

Math Gnomes


Willow is into math and sewing in a big way right now. So, I told her the Oak Meadow math Gnome story and we decided to make some.


If you aren't familiar with the story, basically there is King Equal and he lives in a land of many jewels and all the gnomes work hard to bring him the jewels because he is a kind and generous king. Well, there are 4 gnomes that a particularly good at bringing the jewels. Plus, a quick green gnome is always filling his pockets with more and more, Minus is a blue gnome and unfortunately has holes in his pockets so he is always losing them(you can't see in the picture but our minus is covered in holes :) ), Times is a fast as lightning yellow gnome that seems to grow his jewels in bunches and Divide is a red gnome who is giving and kind and always shares with everyone.
Personally, I think this is a great way to introduce math in a magical way to young kids. The stories build on themselves and as you go along the kids learn the 4 basic processes of math.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!