Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Monday, April 19, 2010

Sometimes I Forget That We are the Weird Ones

The other day I was chatting with David about how I sometimes forget that we are the weird ones. We don't follow the social norms of "education" or parenting and we like it that way. I guess we are considered "extreme" in our thoughts but our children are happy and successful in life and David and I have the best job in the world. Sometimes I just go through life, busy as ever and I am blindsided by judgement and questioning. I should know after 20 years of being this "extreme" parent that it is coming but it always takes me by surprise. It is also funny to me that my family is always the ones being questioned. How about if we question you and your kids for a change!

Some situations arose recently where my teens were questioned by their public school friends about how they think they will ever go to college if they have done nothing their whole life...LOL I was dying laughing.. Nothing? really?? They obviously don't know my kids. And they obviously have not seen my calendar! These "well meaning" kids are just a product of the pubic school system so unless you sit at a desk all day filling out useless workbook pages and being taught to take standardized tests you are doing nothing. So sad when you really think about it. There is so much more to life than that desk and school bell.

The other part that floors me is that these kids know Aspen..she was unschooled her whole life and has been very successful in college. The truth is you do not need a high school diploma, act's , sat's etc to go to college. The school system teaches you otherwise.

Also, since when does completing college guarantee your success in life? It doesn't. My kids have the choice to go or not to go. It is up to them entirely.

My children follow their own interests and in that they learn more than any public school kid will ever learn while sitting at a desk all day. Amazing things happen when you are free to follow your own path.

This news clip came up on my yahoo login page today. I thought it was pretty funny. The news is great about making things seem so "out there". The funniest thing to me is the quote about feral children and making children think they are the center of the universe. I am also much more than a "well meaning" parent and my kids do not play "hookie" all day. They don't need to :)

These people are missing the entire point. When you are free to design your own path and follow your own passions, you become very aware of the boundaries that it takes to make that path. My children are far from feral. We just don't believe that authoritative parenting or teaching is a way to truly be happy in life. David and I want our home to be a place of joy not a place of rules and punishments.

I guess I really don't care if someone thinks that how we live is wrong. It is none of their business. I have always been that way though. I am not out to make everyone else happy especially at the expense of my kids. I don't want to fit into your little box. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Being successful in my book is being happy in your life and creating your own world. We do that every day. Our world may not look like yours and that is ok. You gotta do what works best for you and be happy doing it.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/extreme-parenting-radical-unschooling-19218933

4 comments:

David said...

We are weird and I'm proud of it.

Asu said...

Watching that video infuriated me. : / That report was geared at closing the minds of views rather than opening them.

;__; I'm so glad you guys unschooled me~

Melissia said...

Okay so I have been thinking about this post for awhile. One day one of the neighbor kids called Ari "the weird girl" and I started to say "oh that isn't very nice" and caught myself and said to Ari, "Do you think there are any parents on this whole block who would not call me the weird mom?" And she gave me this big smile and we decided we would rather be us and be weird than be all the normals we see all around us who do not seem to be enjoying life so much. Normal seems to be an exercise in suffering, have to's, families that are not that close etc.

Teri said...

:)Melissia,

I am glad you are who you are. I have a funny story to tell you. We need to get together!

miss you!!

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!