Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Math her way...


So this morning, I awoke to Willow standing next to my bed with a very "matter of fact" look on her face. Of course I am shocked awake every time my kids just stand next to the bed staring at me. What is that? It is like my subconscious knows they are there and even if I am in a deep sleep I am suddenly forced awake!

Here is the conversation...

Willow:"you know how I have I 10 toes and 10 fingers?"

me: "yes?" (with one eye barely open)

Willow: "well, I just figured out if I add the 10 fingers and 10 toes it is 20 and if I say 5 fingers, 5 toes, 5 fingers, 5 toes 4 times it is 20 and if I add just 1 toe and 1 finger at a time it goes to 20"

Me: "yeah...that is pretty cool"

This led to literally an hour of multiplication, counting by 2's and 5's, adding columns of numbers with carrying and place value up to the 100,000 place :)

God I love unschooling. She owns that now. No one made her sit and do boring math repetition. She figured it out on her own by doing the things she loves. I know we will revisit this. May be later today, may be months from now. The seed has been planted and no one can take it from her.
Maybe it had something to do with Junie snuggling to sleep with her last night? hee hee


Now she is off to play with her new hamsters which she has named Max and Coco :) They are doing well and seem to like their new home with us.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!