Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Friday, February 12, 2010

Hi Tech.... Testing...What?



In September of 2009, Josh started Computer Literacy and Game Design through Hi Tech High. He really enjoyed the game design and "tolerated" the computer literacy. The computer class was really boring and had a lot of repetition.


Josh was one of the first group of students to be a part of Hi Tech High here in Utah and as an incentive to get students involved, they offered $1000 scholarships and a free laptop to those that completed the first term and wrote an essay about it. He was really looking forward to taking part 2 of game design and some other programming classes, but...over the Holidays we found out that the charter school that Hi Tech High was part of was gearing up to change the rules. They were now requiring him to take two core classes with them. If we did not want to take the core classes then we could opt for a teacher assistant and testing at the end of the year.

Core classes...I won't even go there. Let's just say they were VERY religious based.

Testing? really...We live in Utah..we have the best homeschooling laws around and are not required to test at all. I loathe the entire concept of standardized testing. I would NEVER subject my child to them unless they were adamant that they wanted to do it.


I don't think it is fair for them to change mid year like this. This not only affects me as an unschooler but also the other families that use a curriculum or attend part time public school. Apparently they lost a ton of students and were opening the enrollment back up.


I could totally be ok with them finishing out a year of school and then over the summer stating the changes but this is really not cool. Besides, we all know why they are doing this. It is all about money. Who will give us the most money?


The other issue I have...wanna really get on my bad side? Ask for the man of the home when you call, or ask if I am Mrs. [insert husband's name here]. You called MY cell phone dude...not even the home number. He seemed completely taken aback that I would only give him my name and not refer to myself as Mrs. [insert husband's name here].

Ok..I will chill... Josh is happily listing his Netbook for sale..he has no need for it. He learned a lot with his Game Design Class and knows for sure this is the path he wants to focus on.

So all my family and friends, if you want to play Josh's games let me know and I will e-mail them to you!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!