Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Friday, September 5, 2008

Aspen

I had to write about Aspen. She isn't in a lot of the posts I write, mainly because she is miles away in Oregon, and I wanted to update you all about her.

Aspen is doing so great in college. She loves it so much and David and I could not be happier for her. She is still a "sandwich artist" at Subway and likes it too :)

She aced her classes over the summer and is gearing up for a busy fall schedule. She is taking a math course...I think Algebra?, creative writing II, Business 101, and a required "how to be successful in college" class :)

Aspen's creative writing teacher was giving a lesson one day on the proper way to write a paper...the use of paragraphs, sentence structure, punctuation, etc and he read her paper as an example. He even asked to keep a copy of it for his class! It was a paper she had written about the day she received her first Asian ball jointed doll, Fuyu.

Aspen also got into a scholarship program where all of her tuition and books are being paid for!!! She is so happy about that :) It is kind of funny how she qualified in the end. It is because she is only 17 and is not living with her parents....they consider her homeless!

She calls a few times a week and talks to everyone. I love how she and her brother and sisters are on the phone FOREVER just chatting about life. They love each other so much.

Aspen sent me her art site the other day and I was just looking at all the beautiful art she creates. Here is the link:




I am so happy that she has been able to do the things that are important to her, and accomplish the things that she loves. I have a quote that is the tag line for my e-mail. It is such a representation of our lives....

In the end, the secret to learning is so simple: Think only about whatever you love. Follow it, do it, dream about it...and it will hit you: learning was there all the time, happening by itself." -Grace Llewellyn

3 comments:

Elizabeth G. said...

Wow, Aspen is really doing great. You must be so relieved and happy for her. She is a great girl! Did she just go to Disneyland? The picture for this post looks like Disneyland.

You and David are doing a great job!
Elizabeth

Julie said...

Glad to hear she's doing great! That's so cool about the scholarship, I'm sure that takes a load off.

I'm blown away by her art! She is a very talented girl. Does she sell any of it?

Julie

Asu said...

8D Hey~ Aspen here.
I haven't sold my art for real money, just fake money for some of the websites I play on. ^^
DeviantArt requires a subscription for me to sell my art through them.

~I made a blog, by the way.
http://www.yasashiihitsuji.blogspot.com

Basically the same name as my DeviantArt account. : D;;

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!