Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Monday, May 26, 2008

Goodbye Bubbles Bambi (Hammy) We Love you!


Today was a bittersweet day around here. As usual, Willow awoke, requested what she wanted for breakfast and went immediately to get Bubbles Bambi out to play. She came running to me with her and said "Mommy she isn't moving" then immediately fell to tears. This is not the first time she has had to deal with a pet dying and she knew the signs.

A few years ago her beloved guinea pig Kipper passed on. We all had our tears and then talked about what we should do. She decided that Hammy(my nickname for her) would be happiest buried in the nature preserve near our home. So, we gathered ourselves and hiked on over. She chose a beautiful spot under a tree. It just so happened a snake was under the tree :) And of course Josh had to pick it up. We buried Hammy with some soft moss and a large maple leaf as a "blanket" :) Josh suggested we all say something about Hammy but Willow said she only wanted to stand in silence. When she was ready we hiked on home. On the way out Mara found another snake. This one was much smaller and much more calm, Willow even held it for a moment. We are happy to say that Hammy's final resting place is a beautiful preserve full of life, snakes, birds, fish, and squirrels that we have seen. We will miss you Hammy.........







2 comments:

Chez Bray said...

Hey guys, sorry to read about Hammy :( WE MISS YOU! and think of you often! It is nice to see all of the fun things you are doing in Portland!
The Brays in SLC

Learning Free said...

Looking at Willow standing over the grave broke my heart! I'm sorry about Hammy.
LeeAnn :)

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!