Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patricks Day 2008


David and Willow made a trap/treasure box last night :) She put it on the front porch and baited it with gold coins to hopefully entice a Leprechaun inside :) Here is the story.....


LEGEND OF THE LEPRECHAUNS


Full of magic and trickery, the leprechauns remain in their hidden world until the night before St. Patrick's Day. On that one night of the year they appear throughout the world to dance and sing and frolic. Disguising themselves as leaves and grass, and sounding like the wind and the crickets, they come and go unnoticed. However, it is said that if a decorated treasure box is left empty under the moon, the leprechauns must fill the box with gold or jewels or gifts. But then they will hide the filled box in the most unlikely of places. If the box is found on St. Patrick's Day, the treasure remains in our world. If not, the leprechauns may retrieve what is rightfully theirs. And though the leprechauns are very clever, it is not impossible to find the treasure because, unknowingly, leprechauns often leave a trail of greenery behind them.













In the morning the Leprechaun had left her some magical unicorn stickers.


While David was helping Willow, Lexi, Mara and I made rainbow cupcakes with pots of gold :)..........


Here are Mara and Lexi's imitation of Martha Stewart :)








We also made Jello Gigglers shaped like shamrocks,







Bought cookies from Harmons :)






Lime Sherbet Punch:


Once the gang went to bed I put together the "pot's of gold" for the scavenger hunt for tomorrow ;hee hee.....




Here are some scenes from around the house......



We made a Leprechaun hat for holding chips.... (I used it for grapes at breakfast)


Just before going to bed, I dyed the milk green for breakfast.....



On St. Patricks day:
Willow doesn't drink milk but she decided to dye her oatmeal pink....green is not her favorite color of course!


Mara knew something was up....

She was mot sure if she could handle it.....

They both said it was gross but ate it anyway :)

Then they wanted to get the boys..... but fist they had to wake them :)








They were not impressed. I guess they would eat anything

LeeAnn came over for lunch and we made sandwiches, lime sherbet punch, she brought a veggie tray and chips and it was fun! She also brought some fun St Patricks day stuff for the kids :)

Then it was time for the unveiling of the scavenger hunt......


Here is the quest laid out by Tiarnán A.K.A David :) (the scavenger hunt master)

Tiarnán’s Gold

Oye there me friends. So ye be celebrating St. Patrick’s day today do ya? Do ya think ye might have a wee bit of the Luck of the Irish? Auld Tiarnán here is the luckiest of all the Leprechauns. I have lived for centuries travelling the world, plying my craft as a cobbler. In the auld days I was known in me home country from County Cork in the south all the way to County Donegal along the North Sea. I now keep a lower profile if ye know what I mean due to me wealth. Aye, me friends ole Tiarnán here has stashed away a nice pot o’ gold here and there o'er the years.

Normally ye can find me treasure by following the rainbow to where it kisses the earth, but since there’s nary a raincloud to be found in this sky, other ways to find me treasure will have to be plied. Aye, there be ways to find a Leprechauns treasure than chasing rainbows... For example if you were to catch me, I’d have no choice but to lead you to me treasure; but ole Tiarnan here hasn’t lived this long to be caught by mere children. Tell ye what, I’ll give you a list of tasks to complete and if ye can do them, I’ll part with just a wee bit of my treasure.

So, how’s that sound to ye? I get to have me fun with ye, and ye get a chance at me gold!


Here are the tasks at hand :)...........


1. pinch a stranger for not wearing green
2. go to the deli, ask for the smallest slice of head cheese
they will give you, pay for it, eat it.
3. collect 5 cents in pennies from strangers
4. find a cute boy/girl and introduce yourself
5. take a picture with a statue
6. sing Happy Birthday to a temple grounds worker
7. collect a book of matches from a business
8. collect a roll of toilet paper
9. collect a hanger from a clothing store
10. collect a drink coaster from a restaurant
11. collect 3 sugar packets from restaurants
12. collect 10 drinking straws from a fast food restaurant
13. take a picture of your other team members wearing
reading glasses, holding a package of Depend
undergarments and posing with a store employee
14. Have someone sign their name on your arm in green pen
or marker
15. Take a picture with a strangers dog
16. go into movie store and ask if they carry Buns of Steel
17. call the radio station and ask them to play “keeping your
poop in a jar”
18. dance on the corner of 700 E and 900 S like your favorite
star or WOW character


So, we took off driving aroung Salt Lake completing tasks along the way until I had a horrible realization that I have left bacon cooking in the oven! We had to skip the final task #16. I was bummed too, that would have been hilarious. I was sooooo glad the house was not burned to the ground. The bacon was not so lucky :)...Here are some pics of the kids doing the hunt. They also had cameras to take pictured of their team mates completing the task, but I have to get them developed. It was great fun!

Loaded into the Durango.....


Dancing on the street corner like a WOW character :)


Dancing like their favorite star:


Picture of themselves with a statue......





singing happy birthday to a temple ground worker.....

The eating of headcheese.......


Don't puke!!!!



What can I say.....hee hee hee (that is a Harmons worker in the back)

This is the bacon (or what is left of it) that nearly burned the house down..

Tonight for dinner we are having Irish potato leek soup, with little shamrock cheeses :) We are looking forward to a quite night of family games...maybe a round of Settlers of Catan!

4 comments:

Weezy said...

Teri, sounds like you all had a great St. Patrick's Day!!! I truly love how you celebrate all the holidays to the fullest!!! I also love that David gets into it too (something that does not run in the Read family). I bet your kids have so much fun and you are making some great memories with them. I hope I can learn something from you and take the time to make each holiday just as special as the next!!!!

lerend zonder school said...

Wow! How fun! Thanks for all the great ideas for next year. Although the treasure hunt may still be a few years off for the boys. You guys definitely know how to celebrate.

Learning Free said...

Teri
You did an awesome job yesterday! Thanks for all you do.
We had a blast!
LeeAnn

Sarah said...

Looks like you had so much fun, I wish I had been there too!

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!