Joyful Liberation

Joyful Liberation

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Our Wet, Wet World


Today was out monthly Project Wild meeting. I have been really wanting to get the kids out and do some water testing and hunting for water creatures. We started off by playing a game where the kids drew from a pile of cards that had pictures of an adult version and baby/pupa/larvae version of wetland or water living animal. Then they had to find their "parent" or "child" by asking questions describing themselves. It was fun. The kids kept asking for another round so I think we ended up playing that about 3 times.
Then we moved on to estimating how much water was available for us to use on Earth. It was a really amazing visual. You fill a bucket with 5 gallons of water representing all the water on earth. Then you take 32 TBS out representing all the fresh water sources. Then from that 32 TBS you take 9TBS representing all the accessible fresh water. From that you take out the amount representing all freshwater lakes and rivers which is about 25 drops. From those 25 drops, they extracted less than a drop to represent all the rivers. It was really an eye opening experience to see what a precious commodity water is and how we all just take for granted that we can do to a sink for water or flush a toilet. Don't even get me started about the fact that we are living in a desert and everyone is trying to grow a lawn full of green grass........ Anyway, I hope that the kids were moved by the visual.
We then ventured on to the stream behind our house to collect specimens. We found a few and the kids had fun wading into the murky water :)






1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sigh.
I can't wait til Trev is ready to join in on the fun!
Maddie will be ready the very same day that Trev is, of course!

About Me

My photo
I am a mom to 5 amazing kids and married to my best friend and love of my life. We co-habitate with 1 cat, Asha, 2 dogs, Maggie May and Juniper Wren, a Chinchilla names Ozwald, and a Hamster named Fat Panda. We have lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years by way of Tennessee and Oregon. I love to be with my kids, knit, run, craft, sew, paint,travel, hike and play :) I love our crazy life!